[CentOS] Samba, SELinux and system created directories

Mike

mike at microdel.org
Tue Jul 29 18:29:33 UTC 2008

Does anybody know what 'setsebool -P samba_export_all_rw on' is actually
supposed to do?  I'm trying to share /tmp via samba and am seeing the same
results with samba_export_all_rw set to on or off.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what this is intended to do but from windows I
cannot see files in /tmp with 'tmp_t' security context (as shown by ls -lZ
/tmp).  I do see those with 'smbd_tmp_t' which are files placed there from
windows via samba.  I assumed that this boolean, when on, would allow
samba to see files in /tmp regardless of security context.  I did try
'touch /.autorelabel' and rebooting, still no dice.

>From /etc/samba/smb.conf:

   # If you need to share a system created directory you can use one of the
   # following (read-only/read-write):
   # setsebool -P samba_export_all_ro on
   # or
   # setsebool -P samba_export_all_rw on