[CentOS] Windows XP fixmbr from Centos?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Jul 30 08:51:49 UTC 2008

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote on Wed, 30 Jul 2008 08:29:01 +0100:
>

>> I am still dead on my corporate system, and the XP boot CD I brought
>> won't boot.  And so far I have not found anyone here at the IETF meeting
>> that happens to have one in their bag of tricks...
>>

> If this is an XP system and the MBR set by XP, then you can boot with the
> (any!) XP CD/DVD into the rescue console and use fixmbr command.
I know that, but so far I have not found anyone here at the IETF meeting
that has one.  I mean, who carries such a CD with them to a week-long
meeting?  I have a couple of options to pursue still.  LIke the network
helpdesk vendor who is local...

> However,
> you indicated earlier there is some encryption in place, I don't know if
> that is already in effect at MBR level. If it is, this method or the one
> mentioned in the article won't help.

My corporate tech guy told me the first step is to get a standard XP mbr
back on the system, and then he believes he can talk me through getting
the encryption working again.