[CentOS] Widescreen monitor won't configure to a wide screen

Alfred von Campe alfred at von-campe.com
Wed Jul 30 10:41:13 UTC 2008

On Jul 29, 2008, at 23:55, MHR wrote:

> Any suggestions?  It's really annoying to have a wide screen and not
> be able to use it....

Try letting the nvidia installer generate the xorg.conf file (and
then possibly tweak it by hand later).  Or try the following
xorg.conf file which works for me an autodetects any type of display
I've attached to my CentOS systems, including wide screens:

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister at builder63)  Mon May 19
00:33:37 PDT 2008

# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
     Identifier     "Default Layout"
     Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
     InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"

Section "InputDevice"

     # generated from default
     Identifier     "Mouse0"
     Driver         "mouse"
     Option         "Protocol" "auto"
     Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
     Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
     Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier     "Keyboard0"