[CentOS] Will CentOS 6's upstream be based on Fedora 10?

Ross S. W. Walker RWalker at medallion.com
Wed Jul 30 15:24:32 UTC 2008

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 10:58 -0400, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> > Try Fedora 8, I know it doesn't have much life in it for updates, but
> > it is the most solid Fedora out there right now, and it still is
> > getting updates until Christmas.
> >
> > I personnally could be very happy for a while with RHEL/CentOS based
> > on Fedora 8 and wait until KDE 4 and the new init fully bake first.
>
> My work lappy was on Fedora 7, and it was great!  I didn't have any
> problems, save for he occasional Evolution crash.  Surprisingly, even
> Fedora 9 has been overall much buggier for me, Evolution has been much
> more stable.  Go figure.
>
> FYI: I use CentOS 5 for all my server stuff, and even for desktop
> machines.  But, I just don't want it as my main desktop
> distribution. :)

Give Fedora 8 a try until a better solution presents itself.

Just disable the forced pulseaudio alsa config in /etc/alsa/alsa.conf

The ConsoleKit in Fedora 8 uses ACLs to allow multiple users switching
desktops to share audio which works well if you pull pulseaudio out
of the picture.

Though for remote audio, pulseaudio works very well, so keep it around
for those rare times you do a remote X session (and force pulse through
alsa in the kdm/gdm env scripts if it detects a remote session!).

-Ross