[CentOS] Re: [Ntop-misc] PF_RING crashed the CentOS5 - BUG: soft lockup - CPU#7

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Jul 30 16:31:45 UTC 2008

on 7-29-2008 11:10 PM Ian jonhson spake the following:
>> If you need a newer kernel to use that patch, I would recommend something
>> that runs more cutting edge for that server, maybe Gentoo or Fedora 9. I
>> don't recommend patching CentOS with a new kernel as you lose the main
>> benefit for using an Enterprise distro .. stability.
> You meant I should not patch the newest kernel but original kernel, right?
> For example, I should download the source codes of kernel -2.6.18 used
> in CentOS 5 from www.centos.org and do patching. right?
> I am thinking the same method to achieve the highest stability. If you
> also recommend the way, I am willing to try again.
> Thanks!
> Ian
It seems that you tried to patch the CentOS kernel and it didn't work. A patch
for a newer kernel probably wouldn't apply clean, and the CentOS kernels
coming from RHEL are heavily patched already. The last time I played in the
kernel there were at least a hundred patches. Probably more. Any one of those
could contribute to  your new patch failing.
I usually wouldn't recommend using a non-standard kernel on CentOS. If the
kernel in the main repo or the plus repo doesn't suit your system, and you add
a kernel from the main kernel.org sources, you risk de-stabilizing your
system. An Enterprise linux like CentOS is designed for stability and long
life and the pieces are fairly intertwined. If you need a custom patch or a
newer kernel, I would just use a distribution like Gentoo or Slackware that
seems to use newer parts, or see if someone already adds your patch to their
current kernel.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!