[CentOS] Windows XP fixmbr from Centos?

Guy Boisvert boisvert.guy at videotron.ca
Wed Jul 30 16:53:30 UTC 2008

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>> Robert Moskowitz wrote on Wed, 30 Jul 2008 08:29:01 +0100:
>>
>>> I am still dead on my corporate system, and the XP boot CD I brought
>>> won't boot.  And so far I have not found anyone here at the IETF
>>> meeting that happens to have one in their bag of tricks...
>>>

>> If this is an XP system and the MBR set by XP, then you can boot with
>> the (any!) XP CD/DVD into the rescue console and use fixmbr command.
> I know that, but so far I have not found anyone here at the IETF meeting
> that has one.  I mean, who carries such a CD with them to a week-long
> meeting?  I have a couple of options to pursue still.  LIke the network
> helpdesk vendor who is local...
>
>> However, you indicated earlier there is some encryption in place, I
>> don't know if that is already in effect at MBR level. If it is, this
>> method or the one mentioned in the article won't help.
>>
> My corporate tech guy told me the first step is to get a standard XP mbr
> back on the system, and then he believes he can talk me through getting
> the encryption working again.
>> Kai

Freedos with command "fdisk /mbr" ?

There are a couple of hurdles with this, mainly:

1) If you have SATA drive (or SCSI or...), freedos may not be able to
see the drive

2) I don't know if freedos has an updated version of fdisk that has no
addressing limitation (main not be a showstopper anyway)

Anyway, just a quick tought.

Guy Boisvert, ing.
IngTegration inc.