[CentOS] Widescreen monitor won't configure to a wide screen

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 17:08:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you have some setting on your actual monitor-hardware you can tweak? You know
> how most lcd-monitors have auto-settings enabled. Maybe something there is
> ducking with your x-configs?

I tried that this morning - nothing seems to be relevant.  I tried
going form "native" to "full screen" but that just widened the
1280x1024 image to fill the screen, which is NOT what I want.

> FWIW, I've seen problems when I've had lcd-monitors connected over a kvm-switch
> and/or monitor-cable extenders. Sometimes the OS just can't correctly identify
> the monitor and the only way to fix it is to connect the montor directly to the
> computer at least once to properly identify it.

This is my primary workstation - no extra connections at all.  My
machines are so spread out that a kvm wouldn't work for me anyway, and
I'd rather keep mine separate for other reasons.

> Also, do you have a way to connect the monitor to a computer running eg Windows,
> just to see it's CentOS and Gnome that's giving you grief and not the hardware?

I can do that, but since it works up to the login in wide screen mode,
I'm fairly certain that it is the gdm (GNOME).

Thanks again.

mhr