[CentOS] rpm dependency question

Mark Belanger mark_belanger at ltx.com
Wed Jul 30 22:22:30 UTC 2008

I have an rpm I've created that has a dependency on a
library provided by a third party.  This dependency is
not specified anywhere in my spec file yet the package seems
to know about when I run:
# rpm -qip --requires MyPackage.rpm

The third party rpm is installed and uninstalled via a
vendor-supplied script so that they can prompt you to accept
licenses and so on.  Problem is, the vendor supplied
un-install script fails to un-install because of the
dependency MyPackage has on one of it's libraries.

Is there a way to build my package so that it has
no knowledge of external dependencies?  My other option
is to alter the vendor supplied uninstall script so that
it does rpm -e --nodeps. I'd very much prefer to not
mess with the vendor supplied scripts.

I guess as a related question, how does my rpm know
about external dependencies?  Is rpmbuild doing some
analysis of it's content via ldd or something?

Mark Belanger
LTX Corporation