[CentOS] Will CentOS 6's upstream be based on Fedora 10?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Jul 30 23:35:41 UTC 2008

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:

> I have always wanted a distro in-between long term support and cutting edge

I think Debian's testing branch aims to be this sort of thing,
I haven't had a need to run testing in years myself. Stable is
good enough for me

http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/

[..]That means that things should not break as badly as in unstable or
experimental distributions, because packages are allowed to enter this
distribution only after a certain period of time has passed, and when they
don't have any release-critical bugs filed against them.

Please note that security updates for testing distribution are not managed
by the security team. Hence, testing does not get security updates in a
timely manner.

--
If your not upgrading on a very frequent basis I don't think you'd
have too many problems. Back when I did run testing for a brief time

If your system(s) operate in a fairly secure environment, security
updates may not be as critical.

There is often a time of brief instability in the testing branch after
a stable release comes out when they re-sync with some of the latest
packages. During this time it's probably best to stick with the stable
branch, and "switch" back to testing after a good 2-3 months for
maximum stability. If your apt configuration is pointed at the distribution
name(e.g. "lenny") instead of the state (e.g. "testing") you automatically
get upgraded to the next stable release when it comes out(and stay on
stable until you explicitly reconfigure apt to point to the next testing
version).

nate
(still working on upgrading RHEL 3 and older RHEL 4 to CentOS 4.6)