[CentOS] Re: ISC dhcpd and Vista clients

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Jul 31 21:05:44 UTC 2008

on 7-31-2008 1:43 PM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva-m4n3GYAQT2lWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> on 7-31-2008 12:42 PM MHR spake the following:

>>> The solution is obvious: either don't get Vista in the first place, or
>>> upgrade to XP SP2 (NOT SP3).
>>>
>>> ;^)
>>>
>>> mhr
>> I'm just testing because we have acquired laptops with Vista. Not my choice,
>> but I have to support it or stop collecting paychecks. I guess I'll have to
>> choose support it
>
> Stop collecting paychecks is not among the valid options here.

Here either...

  My understanding
> (from a thread here a few weeks ago?) is that it is 100% legal, under
> the Microsoft
> licensing of Windows Vista, for a system that comes with Vista to be
> changed, to use MS Windows XP.
Only with certain versions of Vista(Business and Ultimate I think), and you
have to already have OEM preactivated, retail, or Corporate XP licenses
available. I have plenty of bulk licenses for XP, but a lot of new hardware is
swinging to Vista drivers only.

   Also, I read that Microsoft extended the EOL of Windows XP. We
> have 3 Windows XP SP2 boxes and I suspect with Vista on them, they would be
> *very* slow. Would your company consider wiping the drives on those laptops and
> installing XP SP2 on them? (I think SP3 is buggy?).
>
> Networking began with Unix and now Microsoft is rewriting the rules?
I could not find XP drivers for it, but I need to find a way to fix the
problem, since Vista is inevitable unless I can drag my feet until the next
wonderful raping from Microsoft. The laptop only comes into the office
occasionally, but it belongs to the assistant GM, so I'll chug through it for
now. Maybe Microsoft will release a hotfix that actually fixes this. I see
many complaints.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and