[CentOS] Raw device gone after reboot (Centos 5.2)!!!

Jeff

jlar310 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 14:06:19 UTC 2008

2008/7/18 mcclnx mcc <mcclnx at yahoo.com.tw>:
> Thank you for answer.   CENTOS 5.2 does not have "rawdevices" services and
> also NO "/etc/udev/permissions.d" file any more.

OK, so I'm still on CentOS 4 which has /etc/udev/permissions.d. CentOS
5 has /etc/udev with different subdirectory structure, but I'm sure
you can configure the device owner/group/mode somewhere with udev.
There's probably a man page on that. If you can't figure that out,
just write a script to set the device permissions before the database
starts.

The point is that you don't need to do anything special to use raw
devices. In fact, your database software may call them raw devices,
but don't try to translate that to the former use of 'raw' in Linux.
Linux no longer requires any special configuration or services for
advanced databases to access unmounted, unformatted partitions.

You talk about 'mounting' raw devices in another post, but mounting is
the opposite of 'raw'. Raw is by definition unmounted. Just point your
database server at /dev/sd* devices. It will do the rest.

Forget about raw devices. They are history. Just think of it as direct
access to unmounted disk partitions.

--
Jeff