[CentOS] extract MIME attachments from 700MB imap folder

Tue Jul 1 14:59:06 UTC 2008
Ray Leventhal <centos at swhi.net>

Hi all,

Issue:
I've been tasked with extracting a bunch of MIME attachments (M$Word
docs) from emails which have been stored in an imap folder in
/home/<username>/mail/<imap foldername>.  As the subject states, the
imap folder is about 700MB.

Googling suggested that munpack might do the trick, but as it is
intended only for one message at a time, it outputs the first attachment
found, then exits gracefully.

Further searches seemed to talk about mimedump, so I yum installed
perl-MIME-tools.noarch from rpmforge as mimedump this was needed, and
includes mimedump.

I've read the man page, but am wholly unclear as to:
1) will this do the trick for me
2) are there other known tools which might be recommended

Thanks in advance,
-Ray

System runs CentOS 5.1, not updated since April, but it is not connected
to the internet (I do bring it online to install packages as needed); I
will do a complete upgrade before the end of this month.