[CentOS] moving software RAIDed disks to other machine

Sun Jul 20 18:42:15 UTC 2008
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

I just replaced two md-raided (RAID1) disks with bigger ones and decided
to check out how far I get with them when I put them in another machine.
The kernel boots and then panics when it wants to mount the root
filesystem on the disk.

md: Autodetecting RAID arrays
md: autorun
md: autorun DONE
< not sure if this means it was successful or failed, I rather think it
failed because it doesn't list any md devices? >
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock

I pxe-booted in rescue mode. Interestingly, the rescue mode detects and
mounts the RAID partitions just fine and mdadm sees them all as healthy.
It mounts them under /tmp/md0 and /tmp/md1. Shouldn't the installed system
be able to do the same, mount under /dev/md0 and /dev/md1 and then find
root on /dev/md1 as told by grub.conf? Or could it be that the installed
system also mounts them under /tmp?

I'm not sure how I can troubleshoot this.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany