[CentOS] Ideas for stopping ssh brute force attacks

Mon Jul 21 20:43:11 UTC 2008
Bo Lynch <blynch at ameliaschools.com>

just wanted to get some feedback from the community. Over the last few
days I have noticed my web server and email box have attempted to ssh'd to
using weird names like admin,appuser,nobody,etc.... None of these are
valid users. I know that I can block sshd all together with iptables but
that will not work for us. I did a little research on google and found
programs like sshguard and sshdfilter. Just wanted to know if anyone had
any experience with anything like these programs or have any other advice.
I really appreciate it.

--
Bo Lynch