[CentOS] Possible bug in ifup-eth script of Centos 5.2 (combination of bond and bridge)

Thu Jul 24 16:20:05 UTC 2008
Marco Fretz <mailinglist at blah.li>

Dear CentOS,

I think i found a "bug" in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth script of CentOS 5.2. i can post the my changed ifup-eth script if you want.
Am I the first one with this problem?

Situation:
- eth2 and eth3 should be in bond1 interface
- bond1 should be an interface of bridge named "iscsi"

the problem is that the brctl addif command in ifup-eth gets executed before the slave interfaces of a bonding are enslaved.

brctl addif fails if you are trying to add a bonding interface to a bridge and the bonding interface have no slaves.

my solution was to switch the order in the ifup-eth script:
- to the bonding (slave interfaces) stuff before the bridge stuff

and its working... the bonding interface gets his slaves and can be added to the bridge without any errors.

best regards
 Marco