[CentOS] Acer 5920 audio chip does not work in CentOS 5.2?

Tue Jul 1 04:51:58 UTC 2008
Alex White <ethericalzen at gmail.com>

hce wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've installed CentOS 5.2 to a laptop Acer 5920 for dual boot, the
> audio works in Window Vista, but does not work in CentOS 5.2. Does
> CentOS 5.2 support following audio chip or not?
>
> Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
> Controller (rev 03)
>
> Thank you.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Jim

When you say it doesn't work, are you getting an error message
saying that there's no sound device?

Does lspci list your soundcard? If you have a super long list and
can't locate it easily, you can try (but I can't promise this will
work for you, it does for me however) lspci | grep audio

If I recall you're using gnome. You should (but may not) have a
volume icon on your panel. Right click that icon and ensure that the
mute box is not checked. If it's not checked, select "Open Volume
Control" and make sure your volume is turned up. If you still do not
have sound try right clicking the volume speaker icon again and
selecting "Preferences". Make sure that the correct device is selected.

I googled around and found various issues with the model of Acer you
have listed, but sound didn't seem to be a problem save for one user
using Ubuntu (I didn't spend that much time looking, sorry) who only
got sound out of one speaker. A Fedora review of sorts listed the
chipset as just working, but I believe that was for Fedora 8.

HTH

Alex White

ethericalzen at gmail.com
Life is a prison, death is a release