[CentOS] settings up cheap a NAS / SAN server, is it possible?

Tue Jul 1 05:54:56 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> David Mackintosh wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 02:08:33PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>>> Have you updated to Centos 5.2 yet?  And if so, did it improve NFS
>>> performance?
>>>

>> Sorry, these computers are in production now so I can't fiddle with them.
>>
>> Besides, this would be a "long" upgrade -- they are both CentOS 4.x
>> systems.

> This raises an interesting question. What do you do in this kind of
> scenario? How do you upgrade a NAS / SAN with say 5 / 10 TB worth of data?

I haven't done anything that big, but I normally put the OS on a small
mirrored pair of swappable drives so an upgrade consists of swapping
those drives with a new set pre-installed in a spare chassis.  That way
you are only down for the time it takes to reboot and if anything goes
wrong you can put the old set back.  In any case you wouldn't be doing
anything to the data partitions in an upgrade.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com