[CentOS] Spacewalk from Redhat

Tue Jul 1 08:10:11 UTC 2008
Geoff Galitz <geoff at galitz.org>

Maybe this will answer your question in regards to database choice (directly
from the wiki FAQ):

Spacewalk Architecture
Why do you use Oracle? Any plans for supporting other databases?

Originally the Spacewalk code base was used as a hosted application and
Oracle was a good choice for a hosted application in 2001. Over the years
open source databases such as PostgreSQL and MySQL have improved
tremendously in terms of stability, speed, and scalability. We have not had
the resources allocated in the past to add support for an open source
database but want to do so soon.

What if I don't have Oracle?
See the instructions here for information about the XE version:
OracleXeSetup

IOW, you can get an Oracle instance (apparently) for free to support
Spacewalk.

-geoff

Geoff Galitz
Blankenheim NRW, Deutschland