[CentOS] Configuring sendmail in a corporate environment

Tue Jul 1 13:57:58 UTC 2008
Neil Cherry <ncherry at linuxha.com>

Alfred von Campe wrote:
> I have a stock CentOS 5 system as far as email (sendmail) is concerned
> that is on our corporate LAN.  I am not trying to set up a mail server;
> I merely want our CentOS systems to be able to send out emails.  This
> works as long as the recipient's domain is our local domain.  Any email
> send to recipients that are not in our local domain get stuck in the queue:
>
> # mailq
>                 /var/spool/mqueue (2 requests)
> -----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time-----
> ------------Sender/Recipient-----------
> m61D6wC1029257       16 Tue Jul  1 09:06 <XXXX at XXXX.XXXX.com>
>                  (Deferred: Connection timed out with mx2.emailsrvr.com.)
>                                          <alfred at von-campe.com>
>
> It appears that our firewall is not allowing connection to outside MX
> hosts.  I think I need to configure sendmail to forward emails to our
> local smtp host, but I am not sure how to do that.

In my write up of using sendmail with gmail I think I explain how
to rewrite the from. If it's not there then look at the Sendmail/
Comcast write up:

http://www.linuxha.com/other/sendmail/gmail.html

I had to rewrite the from as being from gmail.com in order for
gmail.com to accept the mail.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com