[CentOS] Configuring sendmail in a corporate environment

Tue Jul 1 14:40:41 UTC 2008
lingu <hicheerup at gmail.com>

Hi.

  First of all check the connectivity from that server to the external
domains like gmail,yahoo.com by doing telnet on port 25.if  u get connected
then then ur firewall is not blocking any outgoing port 25 connection.

  Then you have to check one more parmeter.If your domain  on ur sendmail
server is registered with the internet then only you can send a mail to any
external domains.If you are not registered your ip wil get blacklisted in
the spam database.

 Incase if your are registered if it is an direct mx then no need to set any
relay server parameter in sendmail.Incase your MX is pointed to some third
party then you have to tell the relay server ip in sendmail mc file.it wll
be some thing like below

dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.your.provider')dnl

Replace smtp.your.provider with mx2.example.com,this is where your mx get
pointed so that all of your outgoing mails will relayed via this server.

dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `mx2.example.com')dnl

Note: check the connectivity from that centos sendmail server to
mx2.example.com first for port 25 connection.

Regards,
lingu