[CentOS] Problem with nvidia-drv-x11 when upgrading to CentOS 5.2

Tue Jul 1 18:49:58 UTC 2008
Bernhard Gschaider <bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at>

    M> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 1:55 AM, Bernhard Gschaider
    M> <bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at> wrote:
    >> Hi John!
    >>
    >> As I understand it the nvidia-x11-drv IS the nvidia.com-driver
    >> just repackaged in such a way that it automatically recompiles
    >> itself if a new kernel is installed. For the
    >> vanilla-nvidia-drivers I had to write a script for that and the
    >> number of workstation here is not big enough that it justifies
    >> that (I did that, but it never worked 100% and testing a boot
    >> time script is a pain in the a##) Obviously the script in the
    >> RPM-package doesn't know how to behave during an upgrade (let's
    >> see how it fares when the first 5.2-kernel-update comes along)
    >>

    M> I may be mistaken on this, but IIRC, the driver does not
    M> recompile itself automatically at all.  I used dkms once a
    M> great many kernels ago, and the driver has been recompiled for
    M> me for every single update since then (4.4, I think), including
    M> my update to 5.2.  I didn't see any reference to this in this
    M> thread at all, so I'm assuming that you are not using dkms.

I didn't mention it, but the package recompiles the driver using DKMS.

I'm fully aware, that binary-only-packages won't work

    M> For the person who uninstalled, updated and reinstalled the
    M> driver, I didn't see any mention of a recompile - did you do
    M> that?

As said above: DKMS should take care of that - and it always did