[CentOS] Want to _prevent_ upgrade to centos 5.2

Wed Jul 2 06:06:58 UTC 2008
Alex White <ethericalzen at gmail.com>

Ben Marsh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With the release of 5.2  "yum update" seems to be upgrading our
> computers from CentOS 5.1 to CentOS 5.2.  I note from release notes for
> 5.2 that you are only supposed to get 5.2 if you type in "yum upgrade".
> On two  seperate machines entering "yum update" has resulted in yum
> geting repo information for packages with versions that only exist in
> the base repository of centos 5.2.

<snipped>

yum update will update your machine to the most current packages
just like yum upgrade unless you've modified your /etc/yum.conf to
remove obsoletes=1.

Per the man page yum update with obsoletes enabled is the same as
yum upgrade. I believe that if you want to remain at 5.1 you'll have
to stop updating. It is expected that running yum update will bring
you forward to 5.2.

> Can I stop this from happening?  Ideally I would like to stay on a
> particulare version of CentOS eg 5.2 until we can do a controlled
> upgrade.  Maybe we have the same problem as having stable specified in a
> debian sources.list where what is meant by stable changes when a new
> version of debian is released.
<snipped yum output>
You're going to be missing security updates. This has been discussed
here before. The minor number could be compared to a service pack
from the Windows world. Depending on one's environment, one may not
want to necessarily throw the latest service packs into production
right away either.

HTH

Alex White

ethericalzen at gmail.com