[CentOS] settings up cheap a NAS / SAN server, is it possible?

Wed Jul 2 07:37:36 UTC 2008
wonderer <wonderer4711 at gmx.de>

Les Mikesell schrieb:
> Sorin Srbu wrote:
>>

>>> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>>
>>> Grow data online, convert between RAID levels online, migrate data
>>> between spindle types(FC<->SATA) online etc. Create a volume, and
>>> you never have to worry about answering the question 'is it really
>>> optimal?' because you can change it at any time without application
>>> impact or downtime.
>>
>> Sounds awfully expensive. True?
>
> Most of them are, but you can add whole shelves of disks.  I'm not
> sure it matters so much in a case that holds six drives that you fill
> from the start and then have nowhere to grow anyway.

Hey, Guys,

I read through this several times. I have several Home-Cheap NAS at home
(Naslite from www.serverelements.com, Freenas from www.freenas.org and
testing Openfiler & Co.). What you mentioned here is all more or less
for bigger Server-Farms and goes in the SAN direction.You can also set
up what here is mentioned with DataCore & Co, ok.
But I think we came to the conclusion that there are only few products
wich fits to "cheap NAS selfmade". There are many ways to set this up
with CentOS or any other Linux Distro, but you always have to install &
confugure stuff. Naslite and FreeNas are small Distros for ONLY that -
NAS out of the box with (older) Hardware. Also there are some SoHo NAS
with more Feature like Thecus but then it goes up to the pro series. I
did'nt saw yet a selfmade CentOS Live CD thingy that works out of the
box as NAS. Maybe when SolidStateDisks are up to 10Cents/MB  the time is
right for those...

sincerly
Henrik