[CentOS] settings up cheap a NAS / SAN server, is it possible?

Wed Jul 2 08:10:17 UTC 2008
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

Sorin Srbu wrote:
> [...]
Hi Sorin,

You're quite right with what you say. I have a 2U chassis already, with
a Gigabyte motherboard + 2GB RAM + Core 2 Duo E7650. I also have a few
160GB SATA HDD's laying around, but they're too small. So, I'll be
option to put 6 (if I can get the HDD cages fitted into the chassis) 1TB
HDD's into it instead, which with RAID 10 will give me 3TB space.

Thus, I don't want to spend more money to buy new equipment if I have
this already.

Using CentOS is preferred since I know it the best. I haven't used
FreeBSD since v4.7 ( I think I had a look @ 4.9 & 5.4 as well), and I
don't know Solaris.
I think my action plan now will be to figure out how to install CentOS
on a USB memory stick and make it boot on any machine (making it easy to
replace if need be), and then to play around with the RAID a bit and see
how well it works.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers