[CentOS] Re: is CentOS an LSB certified product?

Wed Jul 2 09:42:36 UTC 2008
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

Nicholas wrote:
> Its not a matter of licensing.
>
> Since the days of various Linux distros, coming up with diff schemes
> made it difficult for developers to target a Linux. Hence the need to
> give the source, go compile in your own system mentality. This puts
> off many non techie ppl.
>
> Just imagine when a driver or application can be packaged irregardless
> of the linux distro and it doesnt need a technical person to install.
> Wont this makes it easier for entry into Linux? for end-user and
> developers?
>

> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> Ross S. W. Walker wrote:

>>> LSB or Linux Standard Base, is a way of assuring VARs, developers and
>>> contractors that the Linux systems that are certified under this all
>>> have a standard file system structure and contain a defined set of
>>> minimum system utilities.
>>>
>>> This way when they write software they can be rest assured that if the
>>> system is LSB certified that it will contain the 'bash' utility, that
>>> utility will be in /usr/bin, man pages will be in /usr/share/man, etc.
>>>
>>> This way they only have to write 1 set of installation packages and
>>> not a separate package for each Linux distribution they wish to
>>> develop for.
>>>
>>> -Ross

>> Cool, thanx for the explanation :) I suppose it doesn't change the
>> licensing at all.

Sure, it will make the transition smoother for gamers, sound engineers,
etc who need those extra drivers, but how would it work for the
different distro's? I mean, if we have CentOS LSB, and the directory &
file structure is standard complaint, does it mean other distro's will
need todo that as well, or will it mean that hardware developers will
only write their drivers for the specific distro's which are LSB complaint?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com