[CentOS] INIT 5 and system is gone

Wed Jul 2 15:30:56 UTC 2008

nate wrote:
> John wrote:
>
>> Anyway, something is really wrong here!  Help, please?
>> Try changing your Loging Level to "Debug" or use the appropriate number 1-4
>> for it. Use your backup Xconfig file if you got one. You do have it backed
>> up correct?

backup? What is that? :) I have yet to get this system all configured to
back it up....

And where do I set the logging level?
> I don't recall seeing if the OP mentioned if the system had to be
> power cycled or not in order to reboot it.
Yep. Unplug it, plug it back in, press the on button (when like this the
off button does nothing).
> Another thing to try is
> to configure the system to use a serial console, as loading X may
> be causing a kernel panic. With the serial console you'll be able to
> pick up the messages produced on the console pretty easily.

No serial port. No parallel port. Just VGA, 4 USBs, and Audio. And no
access to setting the BIOS.