[CentOS] RHEL vs. CentOS

Wed Jul 2 20:38:00 UTC 2008
NiftyClusters Mitch <niftycluster at niftyegg.com>

Exactly,
RedHat service (not free) uses the  redhat  update network and tools
like "up2date"
to deliver updated RPM packages to their customer.   They do not distribute yum
by default and they do not have a yum repository configuration that works.

Under the covers both RHEL and CentOS use RPMs  so "rpm -Uvh this.rpm
that.rpm" works for both.
Because of this "yum" can be installed and a local yum repository can
be used for
local packages.  RPM will do the right thing as long as the local
packages are 'well'
made.

>From the support point of view  expect redhat updates to be delivered
to RH customers
a min. to a week sooner than the CentOS community sees them.   Start
using language
like "package update tool" where you would commonly use "yum".

Scan the online documentation for redhat network, up2date, rhn etc....
In with the exception of "rhn" .vs. "yum" and copyright images  there is
no difference beyond possible random differences (minor) in the hosts
that  RPMs are
built on.

Also "/etc/redhat-release" will (OK should) differ.