[CentOS] Centos 5.2 upgrade - urlopen error unknown url type: media

Thu Jul 3 16:21:49 UTC 2008

William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 11:14 -0400, Toby Bluhm wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>

>> Just some guesses here . . .
>>
>> Maybe something's buggered in /etc/yum.repos.d. Try comparing the broken
>> with the working. If the broken still looks right, try making a backup
>> of the broken & copy in the working - there may be some overlooked typo
>> or a character that's invisible to the editor program - like dos file
>> ^M. Could also clear out all non Centos specific repos just to reduce
>> the noise.
>>

> Just an FYI, in VI, the "l" command will show "hidden" characters in an
> unambiguous way. Also, a diff between the two files would catch some
> overlooked typo.
The problem is deeper than this.  I know that my local repo is being hit
for the 5.2 files.  See that in the log.  I just completed doing a yum
update on the system I just did an install.

I get the message with different rpms based on what I want to update.
yum update yum gets the parser as noted.  yum update rpm gets the
message for the rpm rpm.  yum upgrade gets it on chkconfig.

So there is something that got on this system from one of the 3rd party
repos that is causing the problem.  Perhaps some MIME lib that I picked
up from rpmforge, jpackage, or kbsingh....