[CentOS] Acer 5920 audio chip does not work in CentOS 5.2?

Fri Jul 4 18:01:48 UTC 2008
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 3:10 AM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:

> You need an application to do that. I've only used various Gnome desktop
> facilities. The file manager (Nautilus?) should do that when you double
> click a sound file. I'll test ... BRB
>
> Yep. I went to /usr/share/sounds/alsa, using file manager, and it opened
> totem and played the sounds. This means that you could open totem
> directly, or any other sound playing application and try it.
> Unfortunately, unless we suspect broken applications are the problem,
> this really only is the same as what you tried to do originally, less
> the CD.

This is too weird for me.  Yesterday, I could not get the volume
control to do anything, including unmute the sound.

Today, I went to /usr/share/sounds/alsa and played the sounds with
mplayer.  After fiddling with the volume controls for a few seconds,
suddenly everything is working fine.

Note that this _is_ a desktop, but hanged if I know what happened.
Pilot error?  (Nah, couldn't be!  ;^)

mhr

PS: Another really strange item - on the FC8 boot, mplayer (the
kernel?) was running the sound too fast, so I had to slow it down to
95% speed.  On C 5.2, it works as advertised (no speed reduction
required).