[CentOS] i386 version of Perl getting installed on x64 system?

Sun Jul 6 13:22:01 UTC 2008
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> Can you identify which one of these packages individually is requiring
>> the 32-bit perl?  In other words, can you install perl-LDAP without it
>> wanting to pull in the 32-bit perl?  Same for all of them...
>>
>> You can also do an rpm -q -R -p <rpm> on the .rpm file to see what it
>> requires, but I'm not sure if that will tell us anything particularly
>> useful.
>
> I will try that tomorrow, pushed through to test something else so its now:)
> I'll roll the lvm snap back (xen DomU).
>
>> Have you tried the rpmforge IRC channel?
>
> Didn't think of that, I will also log on to that to see why I cant subscribe.

There is a known issue with the new version of yum on RHEL/CentOS 5.2 ...

You need to specify the packages like this:

yum install <package_name>.x86_64

not

yum install <package_name>

If you do not specify, then yum can install both (or either) of i386 or
x86_64 packages to meet that requirement.