[CentOS] Re: Three Identical systems - short cut to setting up the drives?

Sun Jul 6 16:41:25 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 7-4-2008 2:38 PM Robert Moskowitz spake the following:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
>> On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 11:41 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>>> <snip>
>>>

>>> Yes, dd is actually pretty slow in wall clock time.  Where it wins is
>>> in human time since you just type a short command line and go away,
>>> and it duplicates any setup work you've done in addition too
>>> installing the packages.
>>>

>> But it's not as slow as most think. They just don't take advantage of
>> capabilities, like bs=16384. This makes a *huge* difference in both
>> system overhead and wall clock time.
> Well Clonezilla is busy cloning the drive, but there is a problem here
> cloning to a USB attached drive.
>
> One of the partitions is LVM and since this is a drive clone, including
> the partition table and boot sector, both LVMs (source and target) have
> the same name.  So Clonezilla switches to using DD with probably some
> bad parameters.  After running an hour, it has only copied 4Gb out of
> 37Gb.  Note that the USB port is v1.1.
>

> Now actually, I would have perfered renaming the LVM partition and its
> internal ext3 partitions.  I even had a naming convention laid out if I
> had do this via Install instead.
You might want to think about the fact that the drive could map differently
from the LBA  between the usb adapter and directly hooked up to a system. I
had a laptop that did that, and access was extremely slow until I re-formatted
it and re-built the OS. Especially on older systems like you say you are using.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and