[CentOS] Three Identical systems - short cut to setting up the drives?

Sun Jul 6 23:30:28 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Sun, 2008-07-06 at 18:41 -0400, Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
> <snip>

> You can actually do that by using "chroot" from a rescue CD. I usually
> want to do that on my systems, when I clone from a machine with
> hardware RAID to a machine on which I will use software RAID. After
> copying the image (using dd or whatever), I mount the partitions under
> /mnt/sysimage and /mnt/sysimage/boot, then I do a chroot
> /mnt/sysimage, and then I do mkinitrd, using -f to overwrite the old
> one and specifying the exact version of the kernel grub is configured
> to boot with.
>
> For adding/removing drivers, mkinitrd works like a charm. For renaming
> VGs, I don't know if it would detect them right. As it is on the
> destination machine, I'm guessing it would, but as I didn't really
> test it, I cannot be sure.
>
> Anyway, if you get to it and test mkinitrd to correct the name of the
> VGs inside initrd and it works, let us know!
>
> Thanks,
> Filipe
> <snip sig stuff>

Thanks for the info! I'm going to stash this where I can find it
quickly. I *might* have occasion to test this myself in another month or
so.

Meanwhile, if Robert hasn't progressed to far with his other scheme, he
might have an opportunity to try it. But I suspect he's short of time
ATM.

--
Bill