[CentOS] ANSWER: Couple of CentOS 5.2 dhcp notes

Mon Jul 7 10:55:39 UTC 2008
Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org>

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008, Ian Forde wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-07-06 at 15:57 -0700, Ian Forde wrote:
>> 1. Apparently, since I updated from 5.1 to 5.2, dhcpd no longer wants to
>> stay running.  The config is sound, and I can start it from the
>> command-line with the "-d" flag and it serves up leases.  But without
>> the -d flag, it just silently dies...
>
> Well, *that* sucked.  I had to start the daemon with a '-p 67' option to
> get it to stick.  So I stuck that into /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd as:
>
> DHCPDARGS="-p 67"
>
> and it started.  Which led me down the "strace with and without the -p
> option and compare the output" path...
>
> Turns out that without the -p option, it looks up the port number to
> use.  nsswitch.conf in my case had "services: files ldap", which caused
> it to fail.  I changed it to "services: files" and it worked.  What
> kills me is that dhcpd died silently... and I have absolutely no desire
> to put services into my ldap directory...
>
> So I've taken out the -p argument, and all is well...
>
> Thanks for the assist though!

Would you be so kind to report this problem to CentOS' bugtracker (and
probably Red Hat's Bugzilla) ?

 	http://bugs.centos.org/

This obviously is an error that can bite other people as well and the
least we can do is bring this to Red Hat's attention.