[CentOS] Centos 5.2 and 2.6.18-92 Kernel backported SATA fixes?

Mon Jul 7 11:01:27 UTC 2008
Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org>

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008, Michael Rock wrote:

> Last year to get motherboards with the G33 chipset with SATA working
> with Centos I had to either use David Harbic fixes or use Fedora 8 since
> it had the later 2.6.25 kernel.
>
> I no longer see David's fixes available and also see in the 5.2 release
> notes "update SATA driver and infrastructure".  Did Redhat finally
> incorporate fixes to full support the new G33 chipset and SATA?
>
> I have more of these G33 chipset motherboards with Q6600 cpu.  Trying
> to decide which is the least hassle setup and long term i386 or x86_64,
> on either Centos 5.2 or Fedora 9?

First of all, if this is important to you, please remember to buy hardware
based on your OS requirements (and not buy what looks interesting to find
out you end up having issues driving it). Especially if you buy more than
one piece...

Secondly, Fedora 9 is neither a least hassle setup, not a long term
solution. Since you may have to upgrade every 6 to 12 months, which is
something you may think does not matter that much, until you are forced to
upgrade on a timetable that is not yours.

Thirdly, the best way to find out if your hardware is supported is to do
an actual installation on that hardware. Since you have more than one
piece, why not boot it and see if it is fixed ? And then report back :-)

Kind regards,