[CentOS] Flaky desktop audio behavior.

Mon Jul 7 16:13:15 UTC 2008
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

William L. Maltby wrote:

> I feel it might be related to Jim's problem. I feel it might be a bug.
>
> Can anybody reproduce? I think the T'bird step is coincidental. I think
> any sound played as another user should reproduce it. Hmmm ... I might
> be assuming to much if I assume another user is significant.

I don't see why the desktop owner would be the only one that can play
a sound. But in any case have you checked to see if the sound device
is locked by another process? When I have sound issues I usually run
lsof | grep /dev/dsp to see what, if anything is using the sound card
and kill it. To me it sounds like thunderbird from the other user is
accessing the sound card directly, perhaps preventing other apps from
accessing it. Some desktop setups include a sound daemon like esd or
karts(?), to facilitate multiple things accessing the sound card
simultaneously, but I'm not sure what their capabilities/limitations
are as I rarely if ever use them.

nate