[CentOS] how do I find out which nameserver returns a DNS query?

Mon Jul 7 18:03:31 UTC 2008
Ken Price <kprice at nowyouknow.net>

> Ok, sorry, let me re-phrase.
>
> I want to know on my own server, which of my nameservers replied to the
> DNS query. In this example 4.2.2.1 is our ISP's upstream DNS server,
> which is configured in /etc/resolv.conf - so it should technically
> appear there.
>
> But, let's say I query host1.myserver.co.za - and myserver.co.za is on
> another server, and has ns1.myserver.co.za, ns2.myserver.co.za,
> ns3myserver.co.za & ns4.myserver.co.za
>
> So, as far as I know, any one of those can reply (round robbin DNS?),
> but I would like to know which one replies for this particular dig. Is
> that possible? I don't want to specify a server to query, I want to
> find out which of the 4 returns the query. If it's a cached reply, does
> it mean I won't see it?
>
> --

Hmm.  As far as I know, the only place you can find that information
is on the caching DNS server responding to your queries.  If you want
those details, setup your own recursive name server and enable verbose
logging.

Anyone else with ideas?

-Ken