[CentOS] Drive activity every 30sec

Mon Jul 7 23:48:00 UTC 2008
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> But What is going on here?
>
> atime -- Update inode access time for each access. This is the default.
>
> noatime -- Do not update inode access times on this file system (e.g, for
> faster access on the news spool to speed up news servers).
>
> Are the inodes being updated or some info about inode access times?

Every time a file is accessed the file system updates an internal table
noting the last time it was accessed. Used for tools like find. Most
people don't ever use this data themselves directly.

> If you have a partition for a mail share, would this help it too (like
> it does for a news server)?

It should, though there are some apps that don't behave properly without
atime being updated. I don't recall any off the top of my head but recall
discussions over the years where people have mentioned some. Maybe they
are mostly fixed now, I'm sure a google search will turn up results.

This looks informative:
http://kerneltrap.org/node/14148

nate