[CentOS] yum-updatesd not working on CentOS 5.2

Tue Jul 8 10:12:06 UTC 2008
Santi Saez <santi at hostalia.com>

El 07/07/2008, a las 16:51, Johnny Hughes escribió:

> Santi Saez wrote:
>> Dear Srs,
>> yum-updatesd-0.9-2.el5 appears that it's not working on freshly
>> installed CentOS 5.2, using:
>> # rpm -qa "yum*"
>> yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-2.el5
>> yum-updatesd-0.9-2.el5
>> yum-3.2.8-9.el5.centos.2.1
>> yum-fastestmirror-1.1.10-9.el5.centos
>> I see some bugs ([1], [2] and [3]) in the bug tracker, and more
>> info related to other distros like Fedora, etc.. with the same
>> problem.
>> yum-updatesd does not automatically update in CentOS 5.2, is there
>> any patch for this? anyone using this daemon for Yum?
>> This is the configuration file:
>> # grep -v "#" /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf
>> [main]
>> run_interval = 60
>> updaterefresh = 60
>> emit_via = email
>> email_to = santi at example.com
>> email_from = centos at example.com
>> do_update = yes
>> do_download = yes
>> do_download_deps = yes
>> Regards,
>> [1] http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2039
>> [2] http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2592
>> [3] http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2560
>
> yum-updatesd does not install updates, it tells you they are
> available.
>
> yum-cron (or a batch file you create with a 'yum -y upgrade' )
> would be needed to actually upgrade the system.

Dear Johnny,

According to "man 5 yum-updatesd.conf":

(..)
        do_update
               Boolean option to decide whether or not updates should
be automatically applied.  Defaults to False.

        do_download
               Boolean option to decide whether or not updates should
be automatically downloaded.  Defaults to False.
(..)

So, appears that yum-updatesd can download, notify and install
updates.. but none of this works on a fresh CentOS 5.2 :-(

I will try yum-cron.. but I'm also interested in testing yum-
updatesd, none is using it? there's no patch to solve this? Thanks..

Regards,

--
Santi Saez