[CentOS] Re: pm-utils - ATrpms updates a system package on the stable branch

Tue Jul 8 17:17:58 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Johnny Hughes <jhughes at hughesjr.com> wrote:

> Axel Thimm wrote:

>> Using client side filtering is not recommended, it creates more bugs,
>> than it can solve. The proper thing is to take care of it on the
>> server side, where the package owners are supposed to know how to
>> structure the repos.
>>

> Client filtering is not recommended by some people ... but highly
> recommended by others :-D
>
> I would be one of the highly recommended votes

If you want to protect your box, use priorities, as Johnny and many others
here recommend.. Nobody else is going to protect your box for you. You set
the priorities and you protect it. To be polite, I believe the 4 line blurb
above, about  client side filtering is B.S. It is your box, it is your job
to protect your box.  Do not trust anyone else to protect  your box, whether
it is security related or related to repos for packages.