[CentOS] Re: pm-utils - ATrpms updates a system package on the stable branch

Tue Jul 8 20:14:18 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 12:17:58PM -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Johnny Hughes <jhughes at hughesjr.com>
> wrote:

> you
> system

> party

> > > Client filtering is not recommended by some people ... but highly
> > > recommended by others :-D
> > >
> > > I would be one of the highly recommended votes
> > >

> > If you want to protect your box, use priorities, as Johnny and many
> > others here recommend.. Nobody else is going to protect your box for
> > you. You set the priorities and you protect it. To be polite, I
> > believe the 4 line blurb above, about client side filtering is
> > B.S. It is your box, it is your job to protect your box.  Do not
> > trust anyone else to protect your box, whether it is security
> > related or related to repos for packages.
>
> So, if it is indeed B.S. may I entitle you officer of resolving
> phantom bugs that emerge out of this? Imagine package foo requiring
> bar and both packages falling into the wrong client side filtering ...
> Or google for partial and/or selective filtering of repos.
>
> At any rate this is moot for CentOS5 anyway as the repo is indeed
> (trying to) keep the base w/o any replacements, so you will never
> trigger these filtering features^Wbugs. But once you start using the
> full repo *and* filtering, all bug reports go Cc: to Lanny :)
> --
> Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

Axel: Wasn't there a  very long thread in this list, several months ago,
about EPEL and the problems that would cause, since they do not want to
include data that the other repositories include with their package
information? There would be a lot of conflicts.

My belief is that priorities works well on CentOS (I see about 300 packages
excluded, when I use yum to update  on my desktops) and that not to use
priorities is asking for trouble, if one has 3rd party repositories enabled.
The goal is to keep the boxes up to date and not to get them clobbered, by
something from a  repository with a lower priority. That is very sound,
IMHO. No need to CC me. Lanny