[CentOS] OT: anything in CentOS 5.2 that uses opendns.com when browsing web?

Wed Jul 9 15:35:38 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 4:03 AM, Amos Shapira <amos.shapira at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I believe this is completely OT, but I want to be positive. I have a
> fully
> > up to date CentOS 5.2 box. During the past week, when surfing with
> Firefox
> > (and today, while testing with Konqueror), frequently, especially when
> DNS
> > is slow,  I am seeing references to opendns.com  At times, I end up on
> > opendns.com web pages, instead of at the web site I'm trying to get to.
>  My
> > ISP, the phone company, claims this is not coming from their end and that
> > they are not using opendns.com. I was told they have two (2) DNS
> servers. I
> > haven't changed anything in my IPCop Firewall/Router box and my belief is
> > that this is coming from my ISP or upstream from there. . If using
> > opendns.com  is something new in CentOS 5.2, please let me know. TIA.
>
> Could it be that some server you connect to uses opendns' servers for
> their own DNS service?
> Which web sites are you trying to surf to when you reach OpenDNS?

Amos: This is an intermittent problem and I believe it began one week ago.
The first time it happened, I was trying to connect to a Secure (https) web
site at irs.gov and I got a  warning message from Firefox that the SSL
certificate belonged to opendns.com which was very troubling....  That is
the first time I called my ISP about opendns.com   I have also seen
references to opendns.com while trying to connect to other web sites. I
suspect that my ISP (the phone company) is using opendns.com but the
Supervisor in support that I spoke with does not think that is true. Of
course, she is not the Network person in charge of their 2 DNS servers, so
she may be unaware of what happens upstream.

Since then, when the DNS is slow, I have seen references to opendns.com at
the lower left hand corner of Firefox, where it shows what sites it is
trying to connect to, transferring from, etc.  For example, yesterday, in
that area, I saw  "guide.opendns.com Waiting for reply"

I am beginning to look into the idea of having my own Caching DNS Server, as
was suggested in this thread last night. I took a *very* quick look at IPCop
(which is my current Firewall/Router box) and I think it has provisions for
Dynamic DNS built in, but not Caching DNS. I also took a very quick look at
the SME Server documentation, which I was able to get last night after I
switched to KDE and I think it also has provisions for Dynamic DNS but not
DNS Caching. When I have more time available, I will read more about
dnscache part of djbdns, which was suggested earlier in this thread, as an
option to BIND. Lanny