[CentOS] can I use CentOS as a antivirus / spam filter / HTTP AV gateway?

Wed Jul 9 16:12:21 UTC 2008
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've been thinking about using CentOS on a Dell R200 server and turn
> it into a firewall / network monitor / traffic shaper in our
> datacentre, instead of using a dedicated firewall device.
>
> One of the devices that I have been looking at, with my limited
> budget, is the D-Link DFL 860 -
> http://www.netdefend.eu/Product.aspx?m=15&ref=DFL-860
>
> It provides AV, SPI, VPN, DOS, P2P, etc protection. Most of this can
> be done with Linux as well, but I'm not 100% sure about the AV part.
>
> How will I use / setup CentOS to check all traffic coming in & out
> (HTTP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP, etc) for virusses and clean them? We host
> both Windows & Linux servers, and I'm not too worried about the Linux
> servers, but Windows needs a lot of extra protection.

well, pop/imap shouldn't need any virus scanning, that would be handled
at the SMTP transfer layer, by something like MailScanner + ClamAV (I've
used this combination), or spamassassin+clamav, and others.

http virus scanning can be done by using Squid as a transparent web
proxy agent and squid plugins.  I've never attempted this myself, so I
can't give you the exact recipe.