[CentOS] Java Setup

Thu Jul 10 02:31:49 UTC 2008
Clint Dilks <clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz>

Clint Dilks wrote:
> Hi People
>
> I have been following the instructions here
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaOnCentOS but trying to modify them
> for jdk-6u7-linux-amd64.rpm but there doesn't see to be a compatible
> java-1.6.0-sun-compat-*.rpm.    Does one exist ?
>
> If not can anyone point me to some documentation on how I can manually
> set up things so alternatives will work allowing multiple Java versions.
>
> Thanks

As a follow up to this I have  removed the link /usr/bin/java and done
/usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java
/usr/java/default/bin/java 1 the one downside to this is that it doesn't
give a indication of what version it is.  Am I better to use the binaary
installs and then configure alternatives ?