[CentOS] Re: can I use CentOS as a antivirus / spam filter / HTTP AV gateway?

Thu Jul 10 16:41:35 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 7-10-2008 3:23 AM Rudi Ahlers spake the following:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I've been thinking about using CentOS on a Dell R200 server and turn
>>> it into a firewall / network monitor / traffic shaper in our
>>> datacentre, instead of using a dedicated firewall device.
>>>
>>> One of the devices that I have been looking at, with my limited
>>> budget, is the D-Link DFL 860 -
>>> http://www.netdefend.eu/Product.aspx?m=15&ref=DFL-860
>>>
>>> It provides AV, SPI, VPN, DOS, P2P, etc protection. Most of this can
>>> be done with Linux as well, but I'm not 100% sure about the AV part.
>>>
>>> How will I use / setup CentOS to check all traffic coming in & out
>>> (HTTP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP, etc) for virusses and clean them? We host
>>> both Windows & Linux servers, and I'm not too worried about the Linux
>>> servers, but Windows needs a lot of extra protection.
>>>

>> ssshhh!!!  Don't tell Trend Micro you are scanning for viruses at the
>> gateway ... they don't like that term :-D
>>
>> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2219926/breakthrough-trend-micro-patent-barracuda

> Are you saying I'm not allowed todo this, and will be violating a patent
> right for building my own network level virus scanner / anti-virus gateway?

No... He is saying that Trend Micro won't like it, and will sue you for
millions of dollars and your first born child!  ;-P

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and