[CentOS] Re: OT: anything in CentOS 5.2 that uses opendns.com when browsing web?

Fri Jul 11 20:48:59 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On 7/11/08, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
<snip>
>> I am looking at it from the web interface. Under DHCP, for the Green
>> Interface, for Primary DNS, it shows 192.168.10.1    If I change that
>> to 127.0.0.1 I'm done?  Other than possibly needing to change a
>> configuration setting in the ADSL Modem, regarding DNS?  Thanks much!
> No !!! Don't change it there. That is the IP address sent to your dhcp
> clients
> for them to use for dns. If you set that to 127.0.0.1, no one will find
> anything.
> You need to run setup either from a terminal window on the ipcop box or by
> ssh.
> About halfway down is "Networking" which you select, and in that menu is
> "Dns
> and Gateway Settings".
>
> You would set the primary dns to 127.0.0.1 and if you want set the secondary
> dns to what your primary dns was set at. You might have to play with the
> options to have dhcp assigned red and still be able to set your nameserver
> settings.
> The ipcop boxes I have are all on static ip's, on either T1's or business
> class DSL, so the settings are a little different.

Scott: Thank you, for the above explanation!   I was able to SSH into
the IPCop box on Port 222, very early this morning (with the syntax
correct, that was easy) and I saw the Setup menu.

> Whatever you do, write down the original settings of anything you change so
> you can restore it if it horribly breaks.

Amen. I will write down the original settings, before I change them.
In a tiny way, the IPCop box is a "Production" Server in our house. I
have two (2) very demanding users: a wife and a 7 year old daughter
and I don't want them mad.... :-) Something like not wanting your boss
at work mad at  you....

I am going to be working on this, when they are not using their
Desktop boxes and I am going to do this on our Backup IPCop box, which
actually has much better HW than the one we normally use for IPCop. If
I can't get this to work on IPCop, that is the one I will install SME
Server or the CentOS 4.4 Server CD on. It sounds like this is going to
work on IPCop, which will be much easier and much faster  for me to
get up and running properly.

Question: Awhile ago, I got into the configuration settings for our
ZTE ADSL Modem.
For the change to me having my own Caching DNS Server, in the settings
for the ADSL modem at this time, using the DNS servers at our ISP:
Primary DNS Server   	200.29.104.22
Secondary DNS Server 	200.29.96.22

When I think I am ready to test the change I make to IPCop setting(s),
should I set those to 0.0.0.0. so I can use my own DNS Server ? Or.
leave those spaces blank? Or, leave them as they are now? Thank you,
very much, for your time and help, which are greatly appreciated!
Lanny