[CentOS] Kernel Upgrade and RAID Card

Sun Jul 13 21:58:54 UTC 2008
Ryan Nichols <rnichols430 at gmail.com>

Rainer Duffner wrote:

> Am 13.07.2008 um 22:14 schrieb Ryan Nichols:
>
>> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>>

>>> If it works ok on the old kernel, it should also work OK on the new
>>> one.
>>>

> Not if it's a binary-driver...

>> ata1.00: status { DRDY }   over and over
>>
>> No idea what i broke..
>

> You upgraded the kernel...
>

> Seriously - if this driver is not included in the vanilla- or
> distribution-kernel, get the heck rid of it (the hardware).
> With very few exceptions it's usually not worth the trouble.
> One of these exceptions is Areca (don't know if the driver is in now
> RHEL/CentOS) - the guy maintaining the driver at Areca actually
> responds to email enquiries.
> But then, they distribute source and not BLOBs.
>

> cheers,
> Rainer

ata1.00 cmd c8/00:08:00:00:00:/00:00:00:00/E0 tag 0 dma 4096 in
ata1.00 status: {DRDY}
ata1.execption Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen

and it keeps going and going until it hits Buffer I/O error on device
sdc, logical block 0

and if i go back to grub take the old kernel its happy..
werid..

Ryan Nichols