[CentOS] yum remove from stdout

Sun Jul 13 22:48:01 UTC 2008
Kenneth Burgener <kenneth at mail1.ttak.org>

On 7/13/2008 10:43 AM, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-13 at 11:21 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> OR ...
>>
>> yum remove `cat result`
>
> The winner! And if running a modern bash
>
>   yum remove $(cat result)

Interesting.  According to the bash man page `command` and $(command)
are slightly different (in regards to backslashes).  I always assumed
they were identical in every way.

========================
Command Substitution

Command substitution allows the output of a command to replace the
command name.  There are two forms:

       $(command)
    or
       ‘command‘

Bash performs the expansion by executing command and replacing the
command substitution with the standard output of  the  command,  with
any trailing newlines deleted.

*When  the  old-style  backquote form of substitution is used, backslash
retains its literal meaning except when followed by $, ‘,  or  \.*   The
first backquote not preceded by a backslash terminates the command
substitution.  When using the $(command) form, all characters between
the parentheses make up the command; none are treated specially.

Kenneth