[CentOS] Re: Kernel Upgrade and RAID Card

Mon Jul 14 17:56:58 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 7-13-2008 2:58 PM Ryan Nichols spake the following:
> Rainer Duffner wrote:

>> Not if it's a binary-driver...

>>> ata1.00: status { DRDY }   over and over
>>>
>>> No idea what i broke..
>>

>> You upgraded the kernel...
>>

>> Seriously - if this driver is not included in the vanilla- or
>> distribution-kernel, get the heck rid of it (the hardware).
>> With very few exceptions it's usually not worth the trouble.
>> One of these exceptions is Areca (don't know if the driver is in now
>> RHEL/CentOS) - the guy maintaining the driver at Areca actually
>> responds to email enquiries.
>> But then, they distribute source and not BLOBs.
>>

>> cheers,
>> Rainer

> ata1.00 cmd c8/00:08:00:00:00:/00:00:00:00/E0 tag 0 dma 4096 in
> ata1.00 status: {DRDY}
> ata1.execption Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
>
> and it keeps going and going until it hits Buffer I/O error on device
> sdc, logical block 0
>
> and if i go back to grub take the old kernel its happy..
> werid..
>
> Ryan Nichols
You should be able to compile the driver into the new kernel tree while still
running the old kernel. You will just have to add a lot of paths to the
compile line and the mkinitrd line. I am surprised that it doesn't give
examples somewhere on their website or in the modules docs.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and