[CentOS] Re: Kernel Upgrade and RAID Card

Mon Jul 14 18:03:27 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 7-13-2008 3:42 PM Ryan Nichols spake the following:

>>> Not if it's a binary-driver...
>>>

>> I'm familiar with the card & driver ... it's a binary blob with a bit of
>> source to glue it to the kernel.   The card is also fakeraid rather than
>> real raid ... more trouble than it's worth.
>>

> So its junk? What would you recommend we move to then?  Won't that be
> messy on the card change to another raid5 set?

IMHO software raid (even raid5) is better than a fakeraid card. Since fakeraid
is software raid with a proprietary driver, you are much better off with a
time-tested set of drivers than a manufacturers possible half-baked attempt to
port a windows driver to linux.