[CentOS] can I host a Ubuntu / Gentoo repository on a CentOS server?

Tue Jul 15 19:46:00 UTC 2008
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

>   ----- Message from jperrin at gmail.com ---------
>     Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:10:00 -0400
>     From: Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] can I host a Ubuntu / Gentoo repository on a
> CentOS server?
>
>> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 5:20 AM, Ralph Angenendt
>> <ra+centos at br-online.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Whfg ybbx ng *ubj* bgure qvfgevohgvbaf jnag gb unir gurve ercbfvgbevrf
>>> frg hc naq sbyybj gung. Abeznyyl zveebevat n pbzcyrgr ercbfvgbel fubhyq
>>> or rabhtu. Fb lbh orggre nfx gung ba n Hohagh be Tragbb yvfg.
>>
>> Dammit, how many times have I told you that ROT13 is *NOT* secure!
>>
>> You have to double it to make it even marginally secure.
>>
>> Here, let me help you out:
>>
>> Just look at *how* other distributions want to have their repositories
>> set up and follow that. Normally mirroring a complete repository should
>> be enough. So you better ask that on a Ubuntu or Gentoo list
>>
>> There. see how secure that is! No one will EVER suspect Ubuntu/Gentoo
>> help on the CentOS list.
>>

>   Sure, but my main OS is CentOS, and I want to know what I need to
> change on CentOS to allow other distro's repositories on to be hosted on
> it. Do I need to do anything special?

That totally depends on the mirrors you are hosting, how their metadata
is generated, etc.

But the process to mirror them should just be to rsync some files into a
web or ftp directory